Saturday 19 May 2007

How did you?

People ask how I became involved with jewellery making. I have only been involved with the whole process about 2 years. My neighbour introduced me and the rest took flight from there. Although I do enjoy beading my first love is wire work. I love that I am able to create without having to need a huge amount of tools and chemicals that is involved with silver smithing and wire work gives me more freedom of expression with the beads I use.

My daughters bead but my eldest shows signs of interest in the wire work. We will see how it goes. I am self taught with my wire work and have purchased quite a few tutorials to learn different techniques.

I have started to do parties and have been to the preschools to do classes with the littlies. I really enjoy the faces as they pull together items and make something unique to them. I think that is why I love it so much it is all unique. Hand 24 children the same beads and you will end up with 24 totally different pieces of jewellery. I recently went to a preschool and the children made mothers day bracelets for their mums.

This is the bracelet my darling daughter beaded for me. Each student got the same beads and the only assistance they received was when I crimped the toggle on the end.

If you notice my 'mum' isn't quite right there were a few 'wwu' and a couple of other variations. Did that matter to us? No this was a gift from their heart and I am happy to say I have seen quite a few mums proudly wearing their gorgeous bracelets.

It is a snap shot of what your children were up to and will always be cherished. The younger children made bookmarks not because I didn't think them capable but their attention span is a little shorter so the book marks allowed them the same expression BUT with less time.

I love jewellery making it really is more then just beads on a string.

No comments: